We’ve all seen all the pretty wine cork projects on display around the interwebs. I’ve always wanted to use them to make something cool, and for that reason, I’ve been saving corks forever (not forever, but you know.) I wanted to use the ones I’ve saved for something crafty before we leave, rather than put them in storage. And the RV had this ugly blue and mauve leafy wallpaper border as a kitchen backsplash… So this idea was born.
The more I thought about it, I realized just how perfect a wine cork backsplash is for an RV… you can tack things to it, so it’s organizational space, (You can NEVER have enough of that.) it weighs almost nothing, and you can maneuver them pretty easily around small, strangely shaped things. Much better than the tile I was considering. Though it probably took about three times as long. Ha! Best of all, the cost of materials for this project was literally $6 for a bottle of wood glue, and probably about 3-4 hours of my time. (Plus lots of drying time in between rows)
How I did it? First, I ripped off the ugly wallpaper border and I scrubbed the wall with Windex… which I find the best always-on-hand product to remove things that will cause glue not to stick. Then I picked out pairs of corks that were the same size, started applying glue to the back of them, and sticking them to the wall. As simple as that!
The wall was a finished wood paneling, and corks are sort of wood-y… so I figured I’d try this wood glue. I was generous with the glue, and used most of the bottle. It seems to have resulted in a really strong hold. I also allowed a few hours of drying time between the rows, just to make sure it got a really good stick. Since I was applying them directly to the wall, and the fact that they’re going to have to stand up to bumpy roads, and quick stops, I figured I’d give them the best chance I could. You could skip that step if you were applying them to a flat surface, or you had a way to secure them to the wall while they dried. Here’s some progress shots.
All total, I used about 650 wine corks. I ran out of my own corks a little past halfway. But luckily my friend/client/bosslady Sheri is a wine drinker/cork saver too, and she was nice enough to donate a few of her corks to the project. And… Ta-Da!
I’m SO happy with how it turned out! My husband and I have been DIY-ing the heck out of this RV. Anywhere we call home has to have plenty of tech, and lots of craftiness. We’re doing our best to make it feel like home. I’m going to be showing off a few of our projects over the next couple of weeks, and then we’ll do a complete before & after tour. We’re having so much fun! Now I just have to get over my fear of riding in it while it’s moving.